Yes, it sounds weird...but I bet you do the same thing and don't even realize it.
No matter how many motivational messages that you read or hear, YOU are the best motivational person that you've got!
Why is that? Because...
- YOU know your needs.
- YOU know your struggles.
- YOU know your goals.
- YOU know your strengths and weaknesses.
- YOU know everything about YOU, so you could cater your message specifically for YOU.
You see, I could send out motivational e-mails two times a week and they could be some source of encouragement for you. But not everything that I write would apply to you. If YOU, on the other hand, were to write a motivational e-mail to yourself, then EVERYTHING would apply to you.
Also, only YOU could say certain things to yourself that nobody else has a right to say to you. Only you could say...
- "Get off your lazy behind, you stupid piece of garbage!"
- "Your life is screwed up because of you! Now fix it, dumb-dumb!"
- "If you'd stop making stupid decisions, you wouldn't have half the problems that you have now!"
- "If you stop doing stupid, you wouldn't have to look stupid."
- "Go ahead! Keep making excuses! The more excuses you make, the closer to your grave they will take you!"
If I said these things to you, you'd get offended! If you were to say those things to yourself, you'd be motivated! Yeah, you'd feel like trash after trash-talking yourself, but maybe you need to hear some harsh words from...yourself.
One friend from Brazil told me, "I tell myself things that are totally crazy, but they work!" They work because only YOU could understand how YOU work.
You can't sit around waiting for someone to motivate you. That person may never come. Or, that person may give you some source of encouragement, but after that person goes away, you would soon lose the motivation that you've gotten by listening to that person.
If you could only motivate yourself, then you'd stay motivated -- and you'd stay motivated by saying the right things to yourself.
I could give a lot of advice on how to improve your life, and none of my advice would work -- or maybe SOME of my advice would work. But you could only give advice to yourself that would actually work, because you would give advice that you'd be willing to follow.
- Where would you be right now if you would have kept yourself motivated?
- How many problems would you NOT have right now?
- How many goals would you have accomplished?
- How much would your self-esteem have increased?
- How much easier would your life be right now?
Other people could light your fire, but it's up to you to keep that fire burning.
Other people could give you a push, but it's up to you to keep the momentum up.
Other people could point you in the right direction, but it's up to you to actually walk in that direction.
Other people could get you excited, but it's up to you to keep the excitement going.
But sometimes, there is NO ONE to inspire anything good in you. This is where you just need to inspire yourself, and you know exactly how to do it that would get you moving.
Don't wait for motivation. Make it yourself. Let the motivation come from within. The better you are at igniting your own flames, the more you could get done in this life.