All of us have experience some form of burn out. We get to the point where we just don't care anymore and we just stop thriving.
Maybe you have a bunch of weight to lose, but you just can't seem to lose it. Eventually, you would stop caring about weight-loss.
Maybe you've been looking and looking for a good job for years, but it looks like all you could find are jobs that you hate. Eventually, you would just stop looking for that "dream job."
But just because you burn out, it doesn't mean that the flame can't be re-ignited. Even though all of us have experienced some form of burn out, some of us have re-kindled a spark.
The only way to re-kindle a spark is to look at the old things in a new way.
My wife and I have gotten rid of our microwave years ago. We didn't care for it anymore. While there were some disadvantages to our decision, we were happy that we got rid of that thing. All of our food have always come out tasting like rubber anyway.
But then, well, my wife started looking a some kitchen products on T.V., since one of her loves is cooking. She saw some products that you could use in a microwave to make food taste like regularly-cooked meals! Man, we're talking about steak, grilled cheese, grilled chicken, etc.!
My wife started getting excited about a microwave again. We got a very nice microwave from somebody at church for FREE.
Just recently, we've cooked pasta in the microwave with a microwavable cookware, and the noodles tasted great! And I'm talking about REAL noodles, not any T.V. dinner kind of noodles.
So, we've looked at the microwave with a brand-new perspective.
You see, we get burned out because we keep looking at the same thing with the same perspective. But once we look at those old things with brand new eyes, we would get excited about them again.
Okay, so you can't lose the weight. You're sick of trying and you just stopped caring.
- Well, what if I were to tell you that your fat is just stored-up energy that is waiting to get used?
- What if I were to tell you that you're not losing the fat because you're not giving your body enough reasons to burn that fat?
That just might make you take a second-look at your fat and encourage you to find better ways of losing it.
So, you just can't get your "dream job."
- What if I were to tell you that you could turn your mundane job into a dream job by treating that job like a business?
- What if I told you to stop caring about money and promotions and pleasing your boss and start caring about making the company better?
You just might get opportunities on that job that would make you excited. Heck, you might be the new CEO!
In life, we would always find ourselves doing the same thing over and over again. That's just life! You can't avoid repetition. However, you could ALWAYS get different perspectives for what you are doing.
Let's say you go to a group fitness class because you want to lose weight. Well, you've lost the weight that you've wanted. Is there another reason to keep attending a group fitness class? If you say NO, then you'll get burned out and stop attending group fitness classes.
But, if you start thinking about...
- Keeping your heart strong
- Having healthy bones
- Increasing your immune system
- Reducing your chances of getting diseases
- Being an overly happy person
Then you'll keep attending those classes! Group fitness classes would no longer be about losing weight.
Cleaning your house could get pretty boring, right? You just cleaned your house yesterday, and today it's dirty again! If your sole reason to clean your house is simply to have a clean house, then you'll burn out and keep your house dirty. I hope you have some extra food for the six-legged house guests that would come in!
But, if you start thinking about...
- Preparing for unexpected visitors
- Building a habit of maintaining order
- Preventing or reducing your chances of house pests
- Keeping your allergies or asthma under control
- Having a neat place that you could feel good about
Then you'll keep cleaning your house everyday! Having a clean house would no longer be about just having a clean house.
If you're already burned out, go ahead and re-spark that flame. You burned out because you keep seeing the same thing with the same perspective. Start looking at everything with a different perspective, and you won't burn out so quickly.
- Before you quit your job, make sure it's not because you're burned out
- Before you relocate to another city, make sure it's not because you're burned out
- Before you look for a different business opportunity, make sure it's not because you're burned out
- Before you even think about leaving your spouse, make sure it's not because you're burned out
Burn out is NEVER a reason to quit something. When you're burned out, it's because you don't have another perspective. Sometimes, you need a break. Sometimes, you just need to step back and breathe. But you should NEVER quit simply because you're burned out.
Guess what? If you quit something because you're burned out, then your pattern in life would be to do something until you burn out. You would keep on quitting.
How is it that somebody could do the same thing over and over again for years and years? It's because that person keeps getting a new perspective for what he is doing, despite doing the same thing over and over again.
Open your eyes and look for different reasons for what you are doing. Sometimes, you don't need to do anything differently in life: you just need to look at the same thing differently.