Think about it. You're working full-time at a discount store, making seven bucks an hour. Plus, you're working at a dollar store part-time making less! You get a call from a company that you've interviewed for. They want you to join their team. You'd be making $100,000 a year. They ask, "When could you start?" What would you say? The first of January? Heck no! You want to start RIGHT NOW!
Someone calls you saying that you've won a brand new Lexus! You've been driving an old clunker for the longest time, and that sucker is going to die at any moment. The person who calls you ask when you'd like to pick up your new car? What would you say? The first of January? No way! You're going to pick up that car RIGHT NOW!
If it's important to you, then you'll take care of it right away. If it's not, you'd put it off.
You want to lose weight, but guess what? You want to wait. Put it off until the next year. You know, you just got things you need to do first. You need to get your finances together, get through the holidays, get clearance from your doctor, and finish up all the holiday sweets.
I guess your weight-loss isn't all that important to you.
You want to be a famous author and write bestselling books that would turn into movies, make a few million dollars, and live the good life. But right now, well, you just don't have the time. You'd get started on your book when the time is right.
I guess being an author isn't important to you.
You've been dating a young lady for a year. She's waiting for you to propose to her. But, you're just not ready yet. I mean, marriage is a big deal, lots of commitment, lots of money -- you just can't rush into these things. So, you're just waiting until the time is right. Five years later, you're still hesitating to propose to your girlfriend. She waited five years for you, and you're still showing no interest in proposing, much less getting married.
She's going to think that your relationship with her isn't that important. You could kiss her goodbye!
Why do we wait until we do anything? Why can't we just do it now? Man, how many things could you accomplish if you just decide to do something RIGHT NOW instead of waiting until the time is right?
But you see, you wait because it's not that important to you. So, if you're waiting to look for a new job, to lose weight, to get your marriage right, to spend time with your kids, then in essence, those things aren't that important to you.
- The reason you're still stuck in a rut is because getting out of the rut wasn't that important to you.
- The reason you're still struggling with your weight is because losing the weight wasn't that important to you.
- The reason you're still single is because getting married wasn't all that important to you. I'm sorry, but there is no such thing as a SOUL MATE. Marriage is about commitment to one person, not about finding some fairy tale person.
Yes, go ahead and make your excuses as for why you haven't accomplish the things you've wanted. Yes, make the excuse that your thyroid is slow. Make the excuse that you just can't "rush into marriage." Make the excuse that you have no time. Make the excuse that there are risks you need to consider first. Make the excuse that the world could end at any moment. Make the excuse that the government is keeping you down.
But when it comes down to it, the only VALID excuse you could use is that it wasn't important to you.
- If your kid was dying, how important would it be to find a cure to save him or her? Yes, VERY important.
- If you know you're going to lose your job soon, how important would it be to find another job right away? Yes, VERY important.
- If you won a million dollars, how important would it be to get that money into your bank account? VERY important!
- If your carbon monoxide detector went off, how important would it be to get out the house? VERY important.
So, if you want to accomplish other things in life, they need to be important to you. You need to chase after them as if you won't ever have those opportunities again.
Don't make excuses as to why you can't do something, or why you need to wait. Either admit that those things aren't important to you, or get started on them RIGHT AWAY.